top of page

Temporary relaxation of working hours for student visa holders in Australia

The temporary change to student visa work limits to address workforce shortages in Australia has been extended until further notice. The relaxed restrictions apply to ongoing students as well as new student arrivals including secondary applicants in all industry sectors. Student visa holders will be able to work before their course of study commences. International Students will also be able to work more than 40 hours a fortnight in any sector of the economy.

These temporary measures remain in place until further notice. Student visa holders must ensure they are aware of any changes to visa conditions, including work rights. It is important students frequently check the Department of Home Affairs website for updates. Student visa holders who cancel their enrolment, stop attending classes, or fail to meet satisfactory course progress, may be in breach of their student visa conditions.

How can an international student get a job in Australia?

If you enrol in your studies through Study in Australia Group we will support you with your job search. While assisting you in your enrolment we will gain an understanding of your education, work history, skills and competencies. This helps us to easily recommend jobs to you or be your referral on your job application.

Do Australian companies hire international students?

International students can work in a broad range of jobs in Australia while completing their studies. Some vocational colleges and universities offer weekend or night time classes which gives students more flexibility with their work arrangements. Our current students work in various roles such as HR Admin, Chef, Solar Installer, Dog Groomer, Project Lead, Hostel Manager, Personal Trainer, Artist, Social Media Manager, Accounting Assistant, Customer Service Representative, Labourer, Factory Hand, Cleaner, Nanny and more.

Advice for Employers

Australian workplace law must be followed by employers. Australian law makes it clear that international students are entitled to the same work rights as all other employees. If you are looking to hire students, contact us and we can connect you to a huge pool of multilingual students.

How much is a student visa in Australia?

The fees of a student visa 500 depend on the circumstances of the applicant, but typically the fees for the first Student Visa application are AU$630 + credit card fee. (Last updated: 01 July 2021)

How much is the cheapest CRICOS course in Australia?

The cheapest vocational course we currently have on offer is around AU$6,000 for one year. The tuition fees can be paid in quarterly instalments (4 x AU$1,500). Please note that prices will most likely increase in the new financial year commencing July 2022.

How much does Study in Australia Group charge for the course search and application support?

You pay nothing* for our enrolment services. This is because we receive a commission from our education partners which cover our costs for student counselling and application support. Not only is our service free of charge for our International Students, we guarantee it is not added to your tuition fees or enrolment fees so you pay no more. Additionally, we often receive bulk discounts from education providers that we pass on to you, enabling us to offer you tuition fees at lower rates.

(*Excl. school enrolment for dependent children/minors.)


Study in Australia Group is an Education Agency that collaborates with hundreds of private and public colleges, high schools, English schools and higher education providers offering study programs and enrolment support in Australia. If you are planning to study in Australia or you are an employer planning to send your employees on a study exchange or sabbatical to Australia, contact Study in Australia Group for a free consultation!

We look forward to welcoming international students back to Australia.


The information on this page was obtained from the Department of Home Affairs website on 22 May 2022. The information is subject to change. Content on this website is not intended for use as immigration or legal advice.


bottom of page